First Niagara said that the operating results excluded a pre-tax adjustment of $16 million "to accelerate premium amortization on its Collateralized Mortgage Obligations (CMO) portfolio," as well as $3.7 million in restructuring charges.
Excluding the effect of the CMO adjustment, First Niagara said that its net interest margin (NIM) narrowed by eight basis points during the fourth quarter to 3.46%, "driven by the continued downward re-pricing of loans and securities."
But net interest income only declined slightly to $268.6 million in the fourth quarter from $269.6 million in the third quarter, as average loans grew 1.9% sequentially.
The company said in its 2013 guidance that the margin would narrow by another five to eight basis points during the first quarter, with smaller declines in subsequent quarters.Guggenheim Securities analyst David Darst has a neutral rating on First Niagara, and said in a note following the company's earnings announcement that "we believe earnings will lift in 2H13 from lower intangible amortization and fee income growth." Darst's price target for First Niagara's stock is $8.50. The analyst estimates the company will earn 78 cents a share this year, with EPS rising to 82 cents in 2014. FNFG data by YCharts
Interested in more on First Niagara Financial Group? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock.
Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV