MSHA: 2012 Mine Death Totals Are 2nd Lowest Ever
CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) â¿¿ Fatality rates in U.S. mines hit an all-time low last year, while the number of those killed is the second-lowest ever.
The Mine Safety and Health Administration says 36 miners died in 2012 â¿¿ 19 in coal mines and 17 in metal and nonmetal operations.
West Virginia lost the most with seven, while Kentucky lost five.
The safest year was 2009, when fatalities hit a low of 35.But MSHA Chief Joe Main says more needs to be done to prevent injuries, illnesses and deaths. In all, eight of those killed had less than one year of experience in their mines, and 13 had less than five years' experience in their particular job. Main says that underscores the need for better training, especially on a new task.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV