Vistaprint N.V. (Nasdaq: VPRT), a leading online provider of professional marketing products and services to micro businesses and the home, today announced financial results for the three month period ended December 31, 2012, the second quarter of its 2013 fiscal year.
“Our second quarter results were solid,” said Robert Keane, president and chief executive officer. “We delivered good results for our consumer and holiday business around the world. We continued to execute well in North America. Though our European growth rate improved versus our disappointing first quarter results, we believe this was primarily due to the seasonal strength of our holiday-related business in Europe, and we continue to expect our European marketing execution turn-around to take time and significant effort. Turning to profit, our gross margins continued to expand, despite incurring incremental costs associated with product quality improvements and new product launches. We believe a significant portion of this success is due to our strategic commitment to invest in world-class manufacturing capabilities. Our quarterly earnings per share were above our expectations, due in part to our strong gross margins and one-time favorability in our tax rate.”
Financial Metrics (including Albumprinter and Webs results unless otherwise stated) :
- Revenue for the second quarter of fiscal year 2013 grew to $348.3 million, a 16 percent increase over revenue of $299.9 million reported in the same quarter a year ago. Excluding Albumprinter and Webs combined revenue of $25.6 million, total second quarter revenue was $322.7 million. Excluding the estimated impact from currency exchange rate fluctuations and revenue from acquired businesses, total revenue grew 14 percent year over year in the second quarter.
- Gross margin (revenue minus the cost of revenue as a percent of total revenue) in the second quarter was 67.2 percent, compared to 66.8 percent in the same quarter a year ago.
- Operating income in the second quarter was $33.0 million, or 9.5 percent of revenue, and reflected a slight increase compared to operating income of $32.5 million, or 10.9 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- GAAP net income for the second quarter was $23.0 million, or 6.6 percent of revenue, representing a 28 percent decrease compared to $31.7 million, or 10.6 percent of revenue in the same quarter a year ago. Despite improved operating income year over year, our GAAP net income declined due to several year-over-year differences in below-the-line items, including interest expense, other income, our tax provision, and the effect of our new indirect minority equity interest in China.
- GAAP net income per diluted share for the second quarter was $0.66, versus $0.82 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income for the second quarter, which excludes amortization expense for acquisition-related intangible assets, tax charges related to the alignment of acquisition-related intellectual property with global operations, and share-based compensation expense and its related tax effect, was $35.9 million, or 10.3 percent of revenue, representing a 5 percent decrease compared to non-GAAP adjusted net income of $37.9 million, or 12.6 percent of revenue, in the same quarter a year ago.
- Non-GAAP adjusted net income per diluted share for the second quarter, as defined above, was $1.02, versus $0.97 in the same quarter a year ago.
- Capital expenditures in the second quarter were $27.6 million, or 7.9 percent of revenue.
- During the second quarter, the company generated $88.5 million of cash from operations and $58.7 million in free cash flow, defined as cash from operations less purchases of property, plant and equipment, purchases of intangible assets not related to acquisitions, and capitalization of software and website development costs.
- As of December 31, 2012, the company had $64.7 million in cash and cash equivalents and $230.5 million in long-term debt, with $157.0 million remaining under its credit facility.
- During the second quarter, the company purchased 827,346 of its ordinary shares for $24.8 million, inclusive of transaction costs, at an average per-share cost of $29.94, as part of the share repurchase program authorized by the Supervisory Board in February 2012.
Operating metrics are now provided as a table-based supplement to this press release.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV