The company expects to ask for decertification of the units, other than Kraft units 1-4, Bowen Unit 6 and Boulevard units 2 and 3 by the April 16, 2015 effective date of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) Mercury and Air Toxics (MATS) rule. The company expects to seek a one-year extension of the MATS compliance date for Plant Kraft, and retire those units by April 16, 2016. The company is asking the PSC to grant the decertification of Bowen Unit 6 by April 16, 2013, to facilitate the sale of the unit, and is seeking decertification of Boulevard units 2 and 3 effective as of the date of the final order in the IRP.
Also, Georgia Power will request converting units 6 and 7 at Plant Yates from coal to natural gas, and will switch from burning Central Appalachian coal to burning Powder River Basin coal at Plant McIntosh Unit 1, pending a successful test burn and further study. As part of the company's MATS compliance strategy, it will install two baghouses at Plant Bowen units 3 and 4, and will use an activated carbon and hydrated lime injection system on units 1-4 at Bowen, and all units at Plant Hammond and Plant Wansley.
The installation of these controls is part of Georgia Power's more-than- $5 billion environmental construction program. The company is installing scrubbers, Selective Catalytic Reduction units, baghouses and other controls at its coal-burning plants to decrease emissions of sulfur dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and mercury.
As part of the IRP, the company continues to demonstrate its firm commitment to identify all cost-effective renewable resources to benefit customers, with 1,088 MW of hydro generation, 63 MW of solar generation and 142 MW of biomass generation in service or under contract today. By the end of 2016, the company expects to have more than 1,500 MW of renewable generation available to serve customers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV