NC Unemployment Debt Fix Backed By House Panel
"We also have to think about the human costs, and I don't see it as a balanced package because the rate increases of business only go up until the debt is paid off, and they are temporary," Ross said. "But the changes to our unemployment compensation system become permanent."
Republican committee leaders refused to consider two amendments and the committee defeated two others, including one that would have reduced the maximum weekly benefits cap to $425 and required business to pay higher state unemployment taxes to pay for the change.
The bill also must go to the Senate, where support also is expected. New GOP Gov. Pat McCrory has said an unemployment debt fix was one of his early priorities but he hasn't said publicly whether he supports starting July 1 and ceding the federal benefits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV