Chile's President Unpopular Despite Great Economy
Pinera's personality, on display during what was perhaps excessive media exposure, and some gaffes contributed to his low numbers, Martinez said. And several cabinet members have been accused of conflicts of interests or other scandals.
One of Chile's richest businessmen, Pinera was criticized for delaying the sale of his 26 percent stake in LAN, the country's flagship airline. He ultimately sold it for about $1.5 billion.
Martinez doubts Pinera can turn around his popularity ratings during his last 13 months in office, but he expects a successful legacy to turn that around in future years. "There will be some recognition to a mandate that has not been popular," he said.
Marco Moreno, a political analyst at Universidad Central, blames "a lack of trust and credibility" in the president."This is the result of members of the government, and Pinera himself, being involved in a series of situations where they have been questioned because of a conflict of interest," he said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV