10 High-Paying Jobs That Don't Require A Bachelor's Degree
By David Schepp
With college tuition rates soaring, many people are reconsidering whether they need a four-year degree. Statistics show that adults with a bachelor's degree, in general, vastly out earn their lesser educated counterparts. But could you earn a good salary -- even up to six figures -- with just an associate degree from a less-expensive trade school or community college?
CareerBuilder (an AOL Jobs sponsor) recently gathered data from more than 90 national and state employment resources and found plenty of high-paying jobs that don't require a four-year degree. While job requirements and pay vary by employer, the career website says these 10 occupations were tops when it comes to pay, based on median wages paid to U.S. workers:
Take a look and tell us: Are these jobs you'd consider? 10. Engineering Technician (except drafters): Helps engineers and scientists in research and development, specializing in various areas. Median annual salary: $58,698 9. Aerospace Engineering and Operations Technician: Operates equipment used in developing and testing new aircraft and spacecraft. Median annual salary: $61,547 8. Fashion Designer:Creates clothing, shoes and accessories. Median annual salary: $63,170
7. Diagnostic Medical Sonographer: Diagnoses medical conditions using special imaging equipment such as an ultrasound or a sonogram. Median annual salary: $65,499 6. Registered Nurse:Provides care and educates patients about various health conditions. Median annual salary: $65,853 5. Nuclear Techician:Assists in nuclear research and production. Median annual salary: $68,037
4. Nuclear Medicine Technologist: Prepares and administers radioactive drugs for use while scanning patients for abnormalities. Median annual salary: $69,638 3. Dental Hygienist: Examines patients, cleans teeth and provides other dental care. Median annual salary: $70,408 2. Radiation Therapist: Treats patients cancer and other diseases through the use of radiation.
1. Air Traffic Controller: Manages air traffic to ensure safe flying. Median annual salary: $113,547
More From AOL Jobs Need A Second Job? 25 High-Paying Part-Time Jobs Best Cities For Young Workers Top 10 Best-Paying College Majors
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV