News Summary: Latvia Takes Step To Joining Euro
By The Associated Press
STEP CLOSER: Latvian lawmakers passed legislation Thursday that brought European Union membership one step nearer despite worries among Latvians who associate the euro with unemployment, recession, debt, crisis and bailouts.
FORMAL REQUEST: Latvia intends to send a formal request to the European Union next month asking permission to adopt the euro â¿¿ a request that, if approved, would make it the 18th EU country to use the common currency.
ATTRACTING INVESTORS: The government believes that joining the euro bloc will attract investors to the small, open economy that at the start of the global financial crisis saw economic activity collapse by nearly 25 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV