Unum’s (NYSE: UNM) commitment to supporting charitable organizations throughout the U.S., U.K. and Ireland was strong in 2012, as company and employee charitable support to worthwhile causes topped the $13 million mark.
“The needs in our communities continue to be greater than ever,” said Joe Foley, Unum’s chief marketing officer. “I’m always incredibly proud of our employees and amazed by their generosity. A strong commitment to social responsibility is one of Unum’s core values, so it’s rewarding to see that our employees are so dedicated to our tradition of community support.”
Unum provides financial protection benefits in the workplace such as disability, life, accident and critical illness insurance. Through its Unum and Colonial Life businesses, the company has offices across the U.S., the U.K., and in Carlow, Ireland.
The company primarily focuses its charitable efforts on supporting public education initiatives that provide more opportunity for students to learn.Over the years, Unum has been instrumental in creating education programs like the Girls Leadership Academy in Worcester, Mass., the Principal Leadership Academy in Chattanooga, Tenn., and the Education Leaders Experience in Portland, Maine. And in Columbia, S.C., the company has supported a number of education programs at St. Andrew’s Middle School for the past 11 years. “We continue to invest heavily in these programs, and many more like them,” said Mr. Foley. “They not only improve the educational outlook of children and young adults in our hometowns, they help us build strong communities by developing tomorrow’s leaders.” The United Way was another big beneficiary of Unum’s corporate giving last year. A sampling of other major beneficiaries in 2012 include non-profit organizations that partner with Unum:
- Hamilton County Department of Education in Chattanooga, Tenn.
- Hanover Theatre for the Performing Arts in Worcester, Mass.
- Maine Development Foundation
- Boys & Girls Club of the Midlands in Columbia, S.C.
- I CAN in the U.K.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV