News Summary: Weekly US Jobless Aid Claims Rise
By The Associated Press
CLAIMS JUMP: The number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits rose 38,000 to a seasonally adjusted 368,000 last week after plummeting by a combined 45,000 in the previous two weeks to five-year lows.
THE TAKEAWAY: The total remained at a level consistent with moderate hiring. The four-week average ticked up to 352,000, just above a four-year low. Most economists weren't concerned by either increase.
THE OUTLOOK: Thursday's report came a day before the government is scheduled to issue its January jobs report. Analysts expect that it will show employers added 155,000 jobs. The unemployment rate is expected to remain at 7.8 percent for the third straight month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV