One under-$10 name that's trending very close to triggering a major breakout trade is Lucas Energy (LEI), which explores for, develops, produces and markets mainly crude oil and to a much lesser extent, natural gas. This stock has been on fire so far in 2013, with shares up a bit over 16%.
If you take a look at the chart for Lucas Energy, you'll see that this stock has been uptrending strong for the last month and change, with shares soaring from its low of 95 cents to its recent high of $1.82 a share. During that uptrend, shares of LEI have been mostly making higher lows and higher highs, which is bullish technical price action. That move has now pushed LEI within range of triggering a major breakout trade. The stock is also just starting to move back above its 200-day moving average of $1.66 a share.
Traders should now look for long-biased trades in LEI if it manages to break out above some near-term overhead resistance levels at $1.82 to $1.93 a share with high volume. Look for a sustained move or close above those levels with volume that hits near or above its three-month average action of 184,305 shares. If that breakout triggers soon, then LEI will set up to re-test or possibly take out its next major overhead resistance levels at $2.54 to $3.24 a share.Traders can look to buy LEI off any weakness to anticipate that breakout and simply use a stop that sits right below its 50-day moving average of $1.50 a share. One could also buy LEI off strength once it clears those breakout levels with volume and then simply use a stop that sits just below its 200-day moving average of $1.66 a share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV