Why BlackBerry Is Failing
For everyone who wants this market to develop, there is someone who objects to the market's implications. Thus the industry remains in the startup stage, with devices like NinjaBlocks that let homeowners add intelligence to their home slowly. Wired says we're at the Apple II stage of this industry.
And that's the problem. BlackBerry is entering a mature, mass market, where a 1% market share requires that you sell 16 million units in a single year. Hiring singer Alicia Keys as creative director, as Business Week reports BlackBerry has done, matters more to this market than anything that may happen in a nascent, if interesting, market niche.
That's why BlackBerry stock is falling today. It needs the mass market. Niches won't do.
At the time of publication the author had positions in GOOG and AAPL.Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV