5 Best Places to Buy Foreclosures in 2013
Fifth-best market: Lakeland, Fla.
Blomquist says Florida's seesawing housing market -- which boomed in the early 2000s, then went bust around 2007 -- hit Tampa so hard that the downturn spilled over to Lakeland, a 590,000-population metro area some 35 miles away.
"A lot of times 'ex-urban' communities around a really hot area are very affected by a boom and bust," he says. "There's a lot of homebuilding in such places during the boom, but then there's an oversupply of houses when the bust hits."As a result, Lakeland -- best known as the Detroit Tigers' spring training home -- saw foreclosure filings rise 95.7% during 2012. Distressed properties also accounted for a quarter of all homes sold there during the January-to-October period, while RealtyTrac found the area has a 34-month glut of foreclosures on the market. Blomquist attributes much of the backlog to Florida's strict judicial-foreclosure rules. RealtyTrac found that the average Sunshine State foreclosure finalized during 2012's fourth quarter took 853 days to complete -- more than double the 414-day national average. Of course, that means Lakeland-area foreclosure buyers enjoyed a 28.05% average discount during 2012's first 10 months, according to RealtyTrac. Blomquist expects similar bargains in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV