Updated from 10:53 a.m. EST to provide company comments in the sixth paragraph.
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Fail Whale. Again.
Twitter is suffering another outage, this time with its application programming interface (API). Users who use popular Twitter apps such as Hoot Suite, Echofon, and others are experiencing problems sending and receiving messages. Twitter's own status read, "Something is technically wrong. Thanks for noticing -- we're going to fix it up and have things back to normal soon."
The last major outage by Twitter was in June, when the social network blamed the cause on a "cascaded bug in one of our infrastructure components."When the site crashes and users are unable to access it, a whale appears on the Web site, which users refer to as the "Fail Whale." Twitter has increased drastically in popularity, as the world's online audience seeks to engage with one another, and they look for alternatives to other social networks, including Facebook (FB), which reported fourth-quarter results Wednesday In an update to the company blog, Twitter said the issue was fixed. "We experienced intermittent issues affecting web and mobile users, globally, between approximately 7:00am and 9:50am PST. "This incident has now been resolved. We apologize to users who were affected by this, and we're working to ensure that similar issues do not occur." -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV