Bernstein, as a result, downgraded four regional banks to "underperform" from "market perform":
- Comerica (CMA) of Dallas. St. Pierre called the company "the poster child for asset sensitivity," as "roughly 65% of assets are tied to the short end of the yield curve and will reprice quickly when rates rise." While calling the shares attractively valued to "normalized earnings," the analyst said that the stock appears "quite expensive" to Bernstein's EPS estimates of $2.70 for 2013 and $2.80 for 2014. Bernstein's price target for the shares is $27.
- KeyCorp (KEY) of Cleveland. "KEY is also quite asset-sensitive," according to St. Pierre, with about 46% of assets set to reprice during 2013. The analyst said that "on 2013-2014 EPS, the stock appears rich." Bernstein's price target for the shares is $8, with a 2013 EPS estimate of 89 cents, increasing to 90 cents for 2014.
- Regions Financial (RF) of Birmingham, Ala. St. Pierre said the stock is currently trading at a forward price-to-earnings ratio of 93% to his firm's 2014 EPS estimate, when compared to the forward P/E for the S&P 500 (SPX.X). Bernstein's price target of $7 "represents a 75% relative P/E (versus the S&P 500) on our 2014 EPS estimate of $0.74," which matches the long-term average relative to the index. The firm's 2013 EPS estimate is 76 cents.
- Zions Bancorporation. "Among the 'asset-sensitive' names, we believe ZION will be the long-term winner," St. Pierre said, "as it possesses many of the underlying qualities we like to see in a regional bank." But the analyst said the shares are "quite expensive" relative to his firm's 2013 EPS estimate of $1.84 and the 2014 EPS estimate of $1.86. Bernstein's price target for the shares is $20.
-- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla.
>Contact by Email.Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV