Stocks Flat On New Jobs And Consumer Data
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Stocks are flat after the government released new data on consumer spending and unemployment and some earnings reports disappointed investors.
The Dow Jones industrial average is down 3 points to 13,907. The Standard & Poor's 500 fell a fraction to 1,501. The Nasdaq is up 4 points to 3,146.
The number of Americans seeking unemployment benefits last week jumped 38,000 to a seasonally adjusted 368,000, the Labor Department said Thursday.
United Parcel Service Inc. says it was slowed down in the fourth quarter by weak global trade and a disappointing holiday-shopping season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV