U.S. Nonfarm Payrolls Rise 157,000 in January
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The U.S. work force added 157,000 jobs in January, the Labor Department said Friday.
The unemployment rate rose to 7.9% from 7.8% the previous month.
Payrolls were expected by economists to have risen by 160,000 last month after rising 155,000 in December, according to a Reuters survey. The unemployment rate was forecast to have remained at 7.8% for a third straight month.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV