NEW YORK, Jan. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Fixed mortgage rates recorded the biggest one week increase since last March, with the benchmark 30-year fixed mortgage rate rising to 3.77 percent this week, according to Bankrate.com's weekly national survey. The average 30-year fixed mortgage has an average of 0.29 discount and origination points.
To see mortgage rates in your area, go to http://www.bankrate.com/funnel/mortgages/.
The average 15-year fixed mortgage rate climbed back above the 3 percent mark for the first time since September, hitting 3.03 percent, while the larger jumbo 30-year fixed mortgage jumped to 4.17 percent. Adjustable rate mortgages were also higher, with the 3-year ARM increasing to 3.04 percent and the 7-year ARM settling at 2.96 percent, both six-month highs.Mortgage rates were up for the second week in a row, and remain at the highest levels since September, as the benchmark 10-year Treasury note yield crossed the 2 percent mark this week. Mortgage rates are closely related to yields on long-term government bonds. With the fiscal cliff averted and the debt ceiling debate delayed, the immediate risk of an economic contraction has declined, pushing bond yields and mortgage rates higher, at least temporarily. The last time mortgage rates were above 5 percent was Apr. 2011. At the time, the average 30-year fixed rate was 5.07 percent, meaning a $200,000 loan would have carried a monthly payment of $1,082.22. With the average rate now 3.77 percent, the monthly payment for the same size loan would be $928.50, a difference of $153 per month for anyone refinancing now. SURVEY RESULTS 30-year fixed: 3.77% -- up from 3.66% last week (avg. points: 0.29)15-year fixed: 3.03% -- up from 2.94% last week (avg. points: 0.31)5/1 ARM: 2.78% -- up from 2.71% last week (avg. points: 0.29)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV