Green Teams Help U.S. Postal Service Save Millions
Savings and Revenue Surpass $76 Million
WASHINGTON, Jan. 31, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The U.S. Postal Service saved more than $52 million in 2012 by reducing energy, water, consumables, petroleum fuel use and solid waste to landfills, and generated nearly $24 million in revenue by recycling. Together, these actions to save costs and generate revenue surpassed $76 million.
Employee green teams played a key role in helping the Postal Service achieve the savings and revenue, part of which included nearly $12 million in vehicle fuel cost avoidance, more than $10 million in facility energy savings, water savings of nearly $1 million and a decrease in supplies spending of nearly $4 million. Green teams helped the Postal Service recycle more than 253,000 tons of material, which saved more than $25 million in landfill fees.
"Across the country, postal employees are participating in more than 850 green teams," said Chief Sustainability Officer Thomas G. Day. "Motivated by a desire to be good stewards of the environment, and our sustainability call to action, 'leaner, greener, faster, smarter,' employee green teams are helping the Postal Service achieve positive results in energy reduction and resource conservation."Green teams are another way the Postal Service fosters a culture of conservation, building on the agency's long history of environmental and socially responsible leadership. The teams help identify and implement low- and no-cost sustainable practices to help the Postal Service meet the following goals by 2015:
- Reduce facility energy use by 30 percent compared to 2003,
- Reduce water use by 10 percent compared to 2007,
- Reduce petroleum fuel use by 20 percent compared to 2005 and
- Recycle 50 percent of all solid waste compared to 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV