Equity earnings for the segment were $33 million, which compares with $32 million in the year-ago period. EBITDA for the segment was $803 million, or $829 million excluding certain items. This compares with EBITDA of $667 million in the same period last year.
Feedstocks and Energy
Sales in Feedstocks and Energy were $2.6 billion, down 9 percent versus the same period last year. In Hydrocarbons, sales declined as a result of lower sales of olefins due to lighter feedslates, as well as the expiration of contract sales related to the divestiture of Dow’s Polypropylene business. The Chlor-Alkali / Chlor-Vinyl business benefited from higher caustic soda prices due largely to stable demand and tight supply conditions in North America and Europe. These prices were more than offset by lower year-over-year vinyl chloride monomer sales, as a result of lower volumes, driven by asset shutdowns in 2011. Sales declined in Ethylene Oxide / Ethylene Glycol compared with the year-ago period. These declines were due in part to lower available volume stemming from planned maintenance activities.
Equity earnings were $152 million, up from $115 million in the same quarter last year. EBITDA for the segment was $186 million, or $193 million on an adjusted basis. This is up from $175 million in the same quarter last year.Review of Results for 2012 Sales were $56.8 billion, down 5 percent, or 3 percent on an adjusted basis, with currency representing nearly two-thirds of the decline. Sales decreased in most operating segments and in all geographic areas. This was led by Western Europe, which was down 4 percent. On a reported basis, volume decreased 2 percent in 2012. Adjusted volume increased 1 percent, as Asia Pacific and EMEA reported volume growth during the year (up 3 percent and 1 percent respectively). Volume in North America remained flat year over year, while Latin America reported a volume decline of 1 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV