Altria's 2012 fourth-quarter reported diluted EPS increased 34.1% primarily due to lower asset impairment, exit, integration and implementation costs and lower tobacco and health judgments. Reported diluted EPS also benefited from higher OCI in both the smokeable products and smokeless products segments, higher earnings from Altria's equity investment in SABMiller and fewer shares outstanding. Altria's fourth-quarter adjusted diluted EPS, which excludes the impact of special items, grew 10.0% to $0.55 as shown in Table 2.
For the full year of 2012, Altria's reported diluted EPS increased 25.6% primarily due to special items related to PMCC leveraged lease transactions, higher earnings from Altria's equity investment in SABMiller, including net gains from SABMiller special items, higher OCI in the smokeable products segment, including lower charges related to restructuring and lower tobacco and health judgments, and fewer shares outstanding. These favorable factors were partially offset by the loss on early extinguishment of debt as discussed below. Altria's full-year 2012 adjusted diluted EPS, which excludes special items, increased 7.8% to $2.21 as shown in Table 2.
|Table 2 - Altria's Adjusted Results Excluding Special Items|
|Fourth Quarter||Full Year|
|Reported diluted EPS||$||0.55||$||0.41||34.1||%||$||2.06||$||1.64||25.6||%|
|Loss on early extinguishment of debt||—||—||0.28||—|
|Asset impairment, exit, integration and implementation costs||—||0.07||0.01||0.07|
|SABMiller special items||—||0.01||(0.08||)||0.03|
|PMCC leveraged lease (benefit) charge||—||—||(0.03||)||0.30|
|Tobacco and health judgments||—||0.04||—||0.05|
|Adjusted diluted EPS||$||0.55||$||0.50||10.0||%||$||2.21||$||2.05||7.8||%|
* Excludes the tax impact of the PMCC leveraged lease (benefit) charge.
Loss on Early Extinguishment of DebtComparisons of Altria's full-year reported diluted EPS were impacted by a charge resulting from the third-quarter 2012 debt tender offer. Altria recorded a charge of $0.28 per share against 2012 third-quarter earnings, representing the loss on early extinguishment of debt. This charge is reflected in Schedule 3, and the EPS impacts are shown in Table 2 and Schedule 7.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV