Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NYSE: NLY) (“Annaly” or the “Company”) announced today that it has reached a definitive agreement with CreXus Investment Corp. (NYSE: CXS) (“CreXus”) to acquire for $13.00 per share in cash (plus a payment in lieu of a prorated dividend) all the shares of CreXus that Annaly does not currently own.
CreXus has approximately 76,630,528 shares of common stock outstanding, of which Annaly holds 9,527,778 shares, or approximately 12.4%. The transaction values CreXus at $996 million and represents a total consideration paid by Annaly of $872 million.
“This transaction represents a significant step toward Annaly’s commitment to investing directly in commercial real estate assets,” said Wellington Denahan, Annaly’s Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. “We believe that wholly owning the commercial real estate platform we currently manage through FIDAC is complementary to our existing business and return profile and should provide stable and diversified risk-adjusted returns to our shareholders.
“This transaction is part of a broad evolution of our capital allocation strategy. Certain highlights include:
- Immediately accretive - All cash offer, which is immediately accretive to both our taxable earnings and our dividends per share
- Portfolio diversification - Strategic benefit of the acquisition given our existing asset management expertise and the resultant diversification of our investment portfolio
- Scalable platform - Commercial platform is highly scalable when combined with Annaly’s broad capital base
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV