Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO), the world leader in serving science, today reported its financial results for the fourth quarter and full year ended December 31, 2012.
Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2012 Highlights
- Adjusted earnings per share (EPS) in the fourth quarter of 2012 grew 14% to a record $1.36, and for the full year grew 19% to a record $4.94.
- Revenue in the fourth quarter increased 6% to a record $3.26 billion.
- Adjusted operating margin in the fourth quarter expanded 40 basis points to 19.6%.
- Generated record full year free cash flow of $1.77 billion.
- Full year revenue from high-growth Asia-Pacific markets now represents 17% of total company revenue, up from 15% in 2011; China became the second largest geography by revenue, at more than $700 million in 2012.
- Strengthened technology leadership with numerous Thermo Scientific product launches in 2012, including the iCAP™Q ICP mass spectrometer, Trace™ 1300 gas chromatograph, TruNarc™ handheld drug analyzer, Lynx SuperSpeed centrifuge and the PikoReal™ PCR system.
- Invested $1.1 billion to acquire complementary businesses that increase depth of capabilities, highlighted by acquisition of One Lambda, which expanded specialty diagnostics offering into high-growth transplant diagnostics market.
- Deployed $350 million in the fourth quarter to repurchase 5.7 million shares, and $1.15 billion for the full year to repurchase 20.8 million shares.
- Initiated first quarterly dividend in company history and increased dividend by 15% in the fourth quarter to $0.15, based on strong performance and outlook.
Adjusted EPS, adjusted operating income, adjusted operating margin and free cash flow are non-GAAP measures that exclude certain items detailed later in this press release under the heading “Use of Non-GAAP Financial Measures.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV