Do you value the buying and selling trends of institutional investors? We ran a screen with this idea in mind. [More Stock Lists: Hedge Funds Are Cautious Of These 4 Auto Companies]
We began by screening the financials sector for stocks with strong momentum, trading within 5% of their 52-week highs.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
We then screened for those with bearish sentiment from institutional investors, with significant net institutional sales over the last quarter, representing at least 5% of share float. This indicates that institutional investors such as hedge fund managers and mutual fund managers expect these names to underperform in the future.
For an interactive version of this chart, click on the image below. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Tool provided by Kapitall. Login to access free research tools, share practice portfolios, and more.
Do you think these stocks are in hot water? Use this list as a starting point for your own analysis.
1. TD Ameritrade Holding Corporation (AMTD): Provides securities brokerage services and technology-based financial services to retail investors, traders, and independent registered investment advisors (RIA) in the United States. Market cap at $10.5B. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -14.3M shares, which represents about 6.21% of the company's float of 230.37M shares. The stock is trading 2.3% below its 52-week high. The 2 top sellers of the stock are FMR, LLC, and JP Morgan Chase.
2. Allied World Assurance Company Holdings, AG (AWH): Operates as a specialty insurance and reinsurance company in Bermuda, Hong Kong, Ireland, Singapore, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States. Market cap at $2.95B. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -2.0M shares, which represents about 5.82% of the company's float of 34.36M shares. The stock is trading 1.16% below its 52-week high. The 2 top sellers of the stock are FMR, LLC, and Investec Asset Management.
3. CNO Financial Group, Inc. (CNO): Engages in the development, marketing, and administration of health insurance, annuity, individual life insurance, and other insurance products for senior and middle-income markets in the United States. Market cap at $2.32B. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -15.4M shares, which represents about 7.57% of the company's float of 203.53M shares. The stock is trading 1% below its 52-week high. The 2 top sellers of the stock are GW Capital, and Acadian Asset Management.
4. Central Pacific Financial Corp. (CPF): Operates as the bank holding company for Central Pacific Bank that provides commercial banking services to businesses, professionals, and individuals in Hawaii. Market cap at $666.41M. Net institutional sales in the current quarter at -999.0K shares, which represents about 5.74% of the company's float of 17.41M shares. The stock is trading 1.54% below its 52-week high. The 2 top sellers of the stock are Tricadia Capital Management, and Senator Investment Group.
List compiled by Kapitall's SABINA BHATIA. Institutional data sourced from Fidelity.
Did you find this list useful as a starting point for your analysis? Do you have a list requests? Leave your comments below and we’ll do our best to deliver.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV