News Summary: Stocks Lose Shine, Shiny Metals Rise
By The Associated Press
GOING FOR GOLD: Prices for gold and silver rose on Wednesday, including a 3 percent jump in silver, as stocks fell.
IT'S THE ECONOMY: The government said the economy shrank slightly in the fourth quarter and the Fed said it would continue buying bonds to help stimulate borrowing and the economy.
ALL THAT GLITTERS: A plodding economy can be good for gold. As the Fed continues to keep money cheap some investors will buy gold to try to protect themselves from possible inflation.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV