NC Unemployment Issue Galvanizes Business Group
RALEIGH, N.C. (AP) â¿¿ A business coalition says fixing North Carolina's indebted unemployment insurance system will bring more certainty to companies and encourage job growth.
But a group focused on urban issues and some Democratic lawmakers say more emphasis is needed on training and less on cutting displaced worker benefits.
Two organizations held separate news conferences Wednesday as the General Assembly reconvened for the 2013 session. The House Finance Committee planned to debate a bill Thursday that seeks to eliminate $2.5 billion owed to the federal government and make a trust fund flush for future claims.
Dozens of business groups forming the Reemployment Coalition support the measure. But House Minority Leader Larry Hall said at a North Carolina Urban League event that benefit cuts are not the answer to the program's problems.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV