- Net loss available to common shareholders in the fourth quarter of $5.6 million, a 74% improvement over the fourth quarter of 2011
- Loans outstanding increased $15.3 million during the fourth quarter
- Provision for loan loss expense in the quarter declined to $870 thousand, a 94% decline over the fourth quarter of 2011
- Nonperforming assets declined $28.5 million in the quarter and $66.2 million, or nearly 34%, for the full year
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va., Jan. 30, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hampton Roads Bankshares, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:HMPR), the holding company of The Bank of Hampton Roads and Shore Bank, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year of 2012. The Company reported a net loss available to common shareholders of $5.6 million for the quarter, compared to a net loss available to common shareholders of $21.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2011 and a net loss available to common shareholders of $5.9 million in the third quarter of 2012. For the full year 2012, the Company reported a net loss available to common shareholders of $25.1 million, a $73.5 million reduction from a net loss available to common shareholders of $98.6 million for 2011.
"2012 was an important year for us and I am proud of the progress we have made," said Doug Glenn, President and Chief Executive Officer. "The trends continue to move in a positive direction and our bankers are actively engaged in meeting the needs of our local communities."
Net interest income for the fourth quarter of 2012 was $16.3 million, compared to $17.5 million in the fourth quarter of 2011 and up from the $15.8 million of net interest income in the third quarter of 2012. Net interest margin was 3.62% in the fourth quarter compared to 3.58% in the fourth quarter of last year and 3.55% in the third quarter of 2012. Net interest income for the full year 2012 was $65.0 million compared to $71.5 million in 2011 due to declines in average interest earning assets year over year. However, net interest margin improved from 3.23% in 2011 to 3.62% in 2012 because of the positive impact to yields from a shift in the mix of earning assets and declines in funding costs during the year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV