The social-networking giant reported non-GAAP earnings of 17 cents per share on $1.585 billion in revenue, as revenue jumped 40%. Revenue from advertising was up 41% to $1.33 billion, 84% of total revenue. Mobile revenue represented 23% of advertising revenue in the fourth quarter, up from 14% in the third quarter.
Payments and other fee revenue was $256 million, which was four months' worth of revenue for accounting reasons. Adjusting for the extra month, payments revenue was essentially flat.
Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters expected the social networking company to earn 15 cents a share on sales of $1.53 billion in the fourth quarter. Last quarter, Facebook posted adjusted earnings of 12 cents a share on revenue of $1.26 billion."In 2012, we connected over a billion people and became a mobile company," said Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and CEO. "We enter 2013 with good momentum and will continue to invest to achieve our mission and become a stronger, more valuable company." As of the end of the quarter, Facebook had $9.63 billion in cash and cash-equivalents on its books. Facebook will hold a conference call at 5 P.M. EST to discuss the results. Shares of Facebook moved higher during the regular session, gaining 1.5% to close at $31.24. The stock is moving lower in extended-hours trading, down 3.6% to to $30.13, according to Nasdaq.com. Interested in more on Facebook? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV