Transferring Balances In The New Year -- Important Things To Consider
AUSTIN, Texas, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Balance transfers are a hot topic this time of year, as they promise to ease the post-holiday hangover of debt when opening those credit card bills and facing the sum total of December's financial indiscretions. While it usually makes perfect sense to transfer balances from high-interest credit cards to the temporarily safe haven of zero percent interest, it's important to be aware of some caveats. Before you take the leap consider these thoughts from the experts. Read the full post here: Balance Transfers
- Out with the bad and in with the good – unless the card from which you want to transfer debt has been in your purse or wallet for many years it's probably best to cancel it once the balances have found greener pastures with a new zero percent interest card. Otherwise, the oldest card you own should be kept at all costs since it is the one reflecting your longest credit history at the credit bureau. If that card gets the axe your history will plummet along with your credit score. So, keep it paid off and in a drawer for emergencies.
- Sometimes putting all your eggs in one basket can be a good thing, especially if those eggs are high interest balances. If you have outstanding balances on several different cards (or even other types of non-card debt) on which you're getting charged high interest, it can help make life simpler (and less expensive) to consolidate to a single low interest card and focus on aggressively paying down the principal during the interest free introductory period.
About CreditCards.comCreditCards.com is the leading online credit card marketplace connecting consumers with multiple credit card issuers, including a majority of the 10 largest in the United States, based on credit card transaction volume. CreditCards.com, http://www.creditcards.com, enables consumers to search for, compare and apply for credit cards and offers credit card issuers an online channel to acquire qualified applicants.SOURCE CreditCards.com
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts