USAID Emerging Pandemic Threats Program Plays Key Role In Global Conference On Curbing The Risks That Zoonoses -- Diseases That Move Between Animals And Humans -- Pose To Public Health
BANGKOK, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Experts from the U.S. Agency for International Development's (USAID) Emerging Pandemic Threats (EPT) program will share approaches and activities that embody EPT's "One Health" approach to tackling emerging infectious disease threats at this year's Prince Mahidol Award Conference (PMAC). The conference, 31 January to 2 February at the Centara Grand & Bangkok Convention Center, will focus on "A World United Against Disease: Cross-Sectoral Solutions." As a key member of the closing panel, USAID Assistant Administrator for Global Health Ariel Pablos-Mendez, MD, will join other leaders from the public, NGO and private sectors in confirming their commitment to working together at the country, regional and global levels to find and promote successful solutions to combating infectious disease threats.
The One Health approach advocates close cooperation between the human and animal health sectors to blunt the threat that zoonoses may become full-blown pandemics. Two-thirds of emerging infectious diseases are zoonotic. USAID is one of the global leaders in identifying and facilitating multidisciplinary collaboration to prevent pandemic threats.
"The Prince Mahidol conference is one of the preeminent gatherings of professionals who set the public health agendas in much of the world," said EPT Executive Director Dennis Carroll. "That makes it the ideal forum to spark important dialogue about turning science and policy discussions into actions that can prevent the spread of zoonotic diseases."
In addition to Dr. Mendez, other EPT-affiliated speakers addressing the conference are:
- Dennis Carroll, PhD, EPT Program Executive Director;
- Tracey Goldstein, PhD, University of California at Davis;
- Stephen Morse, PhD, Columbia University, co-director of EPT's PREDICT Project;
- W.B. "Billy" Karesh, DVM, Executive Vice President for Health and Policy, EcoHealth Alliance;
- Jonna Mazet, DVM, PhD, Executive Director, One Health Institute, UC Davis; and
- Susan Zimicki, PhD, Technical Director, EPT's PREVENT program.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV