Check out Jim Cramer's latest trading recommendations on "Action Alerts Plus".
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- With the surprise announcement that Chesapeake Energy (CHK) founder and CEO Aubrey McClendon will be stepping down, should investors snap up shares on renewed hopes the company will be taken over? Jim Cramer told Lindsey Bell at TheStreet.com Wednesday that investors shouldn't jump the gun.
Cramer said McClendon's departure feels a bit like Vikram Pandit being forced out of Citigroup (C), although unlike Citi, McClendon will provide a transition period through April 1. McClendon will be back, said Cramer, who has spoken with McClendon personally.
Cramer also noted the irony between McClendon's big bet on higher natural gas prices two years ago, which didn't pan out, and Kinder Morgan Energy Partners' (KMP) similar bet with their acquisition of Copano Energy (COP), announced Wednesday.Investors looking to play natural gas should look at Southwest Energy (SWN), a stock Cramer owns for his charitable trust, Action Alerts PLUS, or EOG Resources (EOG), he said, as Chesapeake will need to continue to sell assets until gas prices improve. To sign up for Jim Cramer's free Booyah! newsletter, with all of his latest articles and videos, please click here. -- Written by Scott Rutt in Washington. To email Scott about this article, click here: Scott Rutt Follow Scott on Twitter @ScottRutt or get updates on Facebook, ScottRuttDC
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV