The spring issue of Disney twenty-three , the flagship magazine of D23: The Official Disney Fan Club, hits stands February 12, loaded with articles to delight both Disney fans and the general public. The cover story, “A Great and Powerful Odyssey,” gives readers an exclusive tour of the land at the end of the road of yellow bricks in Disney’s Oz The Great and Powerful releasing in theaters this March. The article features interviews with stars Rachel Weisz, Michelle Williams and Zach Braff. In addition, there’s a sneak peek of 2014’s Maleficent, starring Angelina Jolie, which offers a new take on the legendary Sleeping Beauty story.
"Oz The Great and Powerful" is featured on the Spring 2013 cover of "Disney twenty-three" magazine, available February 12, 2013 (Photo: Business Wire)
The Emerald City theme continues with a second story illuminating the many connections between Disney and Oz, including Walt Disney’s early attempts to bring Oz to the big screen. The story includes rarely seen images from the Walt Disney Archives and a fond look back at Disney’s 1985 release Return to Oz.
In celebration of the 15th anniversary of Disney’s Animal Kingdom, we sit down with Imagineer Joe Rohde as he reflects on the evolution of Disney’s wildest and most spiritual park.
“Frozen in Time” includes concept art from the upcoming film Frozen, due in theaters this November. Walt Disney Animation Studios brings an ice-covered world to life as Anna (voiced by Kristen Bell) seeks to reverse a curse put on her kingdom by a cold-hearted snow queen (voiced by Idina Menzel), who also happens to be her sister.Disney twenty-three also offers the latest on exciting new projects from the world of Disney and a look at some celebrated classics. The spring issue:
- Celebrates the 30th anniversary of Disney Channel from the original show Good Morning Mickey through the High School Musical trilogy;
- Reveals the secrets and hidden delights to look out for when exploring New Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom;
- Catches up with Bob Baker, a legendary Los Angeles puppeteer whose exquisite artistry is threaded throughout Disney history;
- Tells the story of master glass craftsmen, the Arribas brothers, who now have art in 14 (and counting) different Disney park locations around the globe.
- An exclusive Q&A with Brian Henson about his first film, Return to Oz;
- An off-road tour of Kilimanjaro Safaris with the head zookeeper in celebration of Disney’s Animal Kingdom's 15th anniversary;
- An in-depth look at Disney Channel’s schedule, stars, and shows and an exclusive look back at the first day of programming as the Channel turns 30.