Understanding Minimum Car Insurance Requirements
Most states mandate that you carry automobile insurance and have laws outlining the minimum amount of liability coverage you must purchase.
However, those minimum amounts may not be enough, especially if you're in an accident. The cost of a car accident can be much more than the limits required by most states. The Insurance Information Institute recommends that you carry at least $100,000 of bodily injury protection per person and $300,000 per accident (known as 100/300).
Auto insurance minimums
|District of Columbia||25/50/5|
What do those three auto liability insurance numbers mean?Perhaps you've wondered about the three numbers that are part of the auto liability insurance that you bought.
- The first number is the bodily injury liability maximum coverage for one individual who's injured in an auto accident.
- The second number is the maximum amount of bodily injury liability coverage per accident.
- The third number represents the maximum amount of property damage liability, and it's per vehicle.
Understanding auto insurance liability coverage across state linesWhat happens if you hold the minimum amount of automobile insurance coverage required in your state and you're involved in an accident in another state that requires higher minimum coverage? Will your auto policy's coverage automatically increase to meet the other state's minimum coverage requirements? For example, say you live in Ohio and hold the minimum amount of coverage, which is 12.5/25/7.5/ (This means that the minimum liability limits in this state are $12,500 for injuries to one person, $25,000 for all injuries incurred and $7,500 for property damage for one vehicle in an accident.) What happens if you then travel to Maine for a vacation (where the limits are 50/100/25) and are involved in an accident that requires higher minimum coverage?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV