ADL Calls Carroll County, Maryland Recognition Of English As Official Language "Unnecessary And Divisive"
WASHINGTON, Jan. 30, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) today expressed deep concern regarding the unanimous vote to adopt an ordinance making English the official language of the Carroll County ( Maryland) government by the county's Board of County Commissioners. The ordinance would require the county's official actions and statements to be in English.
"This measure is unnecessary and divisive," said Sophie Dornstreich, the Anti-Defamation League's D.C. Associate Regional Director. "Although the ordinance would not prohibit county employees or elected officials from communicating in other languages for 'unofficial business,' it is in fact a measure that limits access to the full range of county-wide rights and benefits – without establishing positive educational programs to help those affected learn English."
ADL is an advocate of comprehensive immigration reform legislation that focuses not only on enforcement and control but also the protection of the basic human rights of immigrants.
The Anti-Defamation League, founded in 1913, is the world's leading organization fighting anti-Semitism through programs and services that counteract hatred, prejudice and bigotry.SOURCE Anti-Defamation League
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV