- During the fourth quarter 2012, commercial and industrial loans increased $10.7 million to $126.1 million at December 31, 2012. In addition, commercial real estate loans increased $5.4 million to $245.8 million at December 31, 2012. The increase in both commercial and industrial loans and commercial real estate loans was primarily due to new loan originations. While in prior quarters management has used residential loan growth to supplement the loan portfolio, the long-term strategy remains focused on commercial lending.
- The Company repurchased 2,424,554 shares of its common stock pursuant to its stock repurchase programs for a total of $17.6 million, which equates to 9.6% of the outstanding shares as of September 30, 2012. The shares were repurchased at an average price of $7.25.
- Net interest and dividend income decreased $109,000 to $7.6 million for the quarter ended December 31, 2012, compared to $7.7 million for the quarter ended September 30, 2012. The decrease in the yield on earning assets was greater than the decrease in the cost of funds due to the low rate environment.
- The Bank prepaid repurchase agreements in the amount $28.0 million and incurred a prepayment expense of $1.0 million. The repurchase agreements had a weighted average cost of 3.06% and the prepayment will decrease the cost of funds which will help increase the net interest margin. The repurchase agreements were paid off during the last week of December 2012 and therefore had minimal impact to the cost of funds in the fourth quarter 2012.
- There was no provision for loan losses for the fourth quarter 2012, compared to $218,000 for the third quarter 2012. There was net loan growth during the fourth quarter; however, an overall positive change in the risk profile of the loan portfolio offset the need for a provision.
Westfield Financial, Inc. Reports Results For The Quarter And Year Ended December 31, 2012
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.