IT service provider Wipro (WIT) rounds out our list of hated foreign stocks. This Bangalore, India-based outsourced IT provider currently sports a short interest ratio of 12.1.
Wipro is best known for its IT services unit, which generates around three-quarters of the firm's total sales. The business started out offering large corporations cheaper outsourced IT expertise than they could find at home, but the firm has evolved to hold itself out as a higher-end consulting firm that competes with all of the most recognized IT service firms here at home. Wipro's ability to earn revenue both as a conventional IT service firm and as a cost-centric outsourced IT provider means that the firm is able to court companies looking for top-level solutions at a price as well as those just looking to cut costs.One of the more bizarre aspects of Wipro is its consumer segment. While the firm's computer sales business at least makes sense, it also owns a division that makes products like cooking oil and soap -- not exactly a complementary business. The firm's decision to split its two disparate businesses apart is a wise one. It should help to boost overall margins for the more important IT side of the business. Investors should be on the lookout for a short squeeze in this stock. To see this week's short squeezes in action, check out the of Foreign Short Squeezes portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV