The other small agriculture names mentioned in my earlier piece are also off to decent starts since year-end. Mini-conglomerate PICO Holdings (PICO), which has interests in land, water and canola oil processing is up about 9% in the past month, as is Argentine farming giant Cresud (CRESY). Meanwhile, Limoneira (LMNR), the largest avocado grower in the U.S., and one of the largest lemon growers, is up about 17%.
Whether these trends will continue, remains to be seen.
At the time of publication, the author was long ALCO, PICO and LMNR.
This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV