BOK Financial Corporation reported record net income of $351.2 million or $5.13 per diluted share for the year ended December 31, 2012, up $65.3 million or 23% over 2011. Net income for the year ended December 31, 2011 was $285.9 million or $4.17 per diluted share.
“BOK Financial's results for 2012 reflect the value of our diversified revenue business model,” said President and CEO Stan Lybarger. “Non-interest revenue increased by $103 million or 20% over 2011, led by tremendous growth in mortgage banking revenue. Our mortgage banking professionals originated over $3.7 billion in loans, assisting a record number of customers in the purchase or refinance of their home during this year. In addition to mortgage banking revenue, brokerage and trading revenue was up nearly $23 million over the previous year, which more than offset the full year effect of regulatory limits on interchange fees.”
"Our commercial loan portfolio grew by $1.1 billion or 16% and deposits grew by $2.4 billion or 13% over December 31, 2011," said Lybarger. "Additionally, continued improvements in credit quality in 2012 required us to further reduce our combined allowances for credit losses by $45 million through net charge-offs and a $22 million negative provision for credit losses."
"While persistently low interest rates and modest economic growth present a challenge for all banks, including BOK Financial, we expect the Company to continue to perform well," said Lybarger. "Our outlook for the upcoming year includes continued loan growth, increased non-interest revenue and operating expense discipline."Net income for the fourth quarter of 2012 totaled $82.6 million or $1.21 per diluted share, compared to net income of $87.4 million or $1.27 per diluted share for the third quarter of 2012 and net income of $67.0 million or $0.98 per diluted share for the fourth quarter of 2011. Highlights of fourth quarter of 2012 included:
- Net interest revenue totaled $173.4 million for the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to $176.0 million for the third quarter of 2012. Net interest margin was 2.95% for the fourth quarter of 2012 and 3.12% for the third quarter of 2012. Securities portfolio yield continued to decline as cash flows were reinvested at lower rates.
- Fees and commissions revenue totaled $165.8 million, largely unchanged compared to the third quarter of 2012. Mortgage banking revenue decreased $3.9 million compared to the prior quarter primarily due to seasonal decreases in mortgage commitments and mortgage loans held for sale. Trust fees and commission revenue increased $2.4 million over the prior quarter. All other revenue sources were up $1.3 million over the prior quarter.
- Operating expenses, excluding changes in the fair value of mortgage servicing rights, totaled $226.8 million, up $14.0 million over the previous quarter. Personnel expense increased $8.4 million. Non-personnel expense increased $5.6 million.
- A $14.0 million negative provision for credit losses was recorded in the fourth quarter of 2012. Improving charge-off trends resulted in lower estimated loss rates. Most economic factors are stable or improving in our primary markets. No provision for credit losses was recorded in the third quarter of 2012. Net charge-offs totaled $4.3 million or 0.14% of average loans on an annualized basis in the fourth quarter of 2012 compared to net charge-offs of $5.7 million or 0.19% of average loans on an annualized basis in the third quarter of 2012. Gross charge-offs continue to decline, down $921 thousand from the previous quarter.
- The combined allowance for credit losses totaled $217 million or 1.77% of outstanding loans at December 31, 2012 compared to $236 million or 1.99% of outstanding loans at September 30, 2012. Nonperforming assets totaled $277 million or 2.23% of outstanding loans and repossessed assets at December 31, 2012 and $264 million or 2.21% of outstanding loans and repossessed assets at September 30, 2012. Nonperforming assets increased $31 million due to the implementation of recent regulatory guidance concerning borrowers who have filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Excluding the impact of this new guidance, nonperforming assets decreased $19 million during the fourth quarter of 2012.
- Outstanding loan balances were $12.3 billion at December 31, 2012, up $479 million over the prior quarter. Commercial loan balances grew by $351 million or 19% on an annualized basis over September 30, 2012. Commercial real estate loans grew by $68 million, residential mortgage loans grew by $32 million and consumer loans grew by $28 million.
- Period end deposits totaled $21.2 billion at December 31, 2012 compared to $19.1 billion at September 30, 2012. Demand deposit accounts increased $1.2 billion and interest-bearing transaction accounts increased $885 million, partially offset by a $54 million decrease in time deposits.
- Tangible common equity ratio was 9.25% at December 31, 2012 and 9.67% at September 30, 2012. The tangible common equity ratio is a non-GAAP measure of capital strength used by the Company and investors based on shareholders' equity minus intangible assets and equity that does not benefit common shareholders. The Company and its subsidiary bank continue to exceed the regulatory definition of well capitalized. The Company's Tier 1 capital ratios, as defined by banking regulations, were 12.78% at December 31, 2012 and 13.21% at September 30, 2012.
- The Company paid a regular quarterly cash dividend of $26 million or $0.38 per common share and a special cash dividend of $68 million or $1.00 per common share during the fourth quarter of 2012. On January 29, 2013, the board of directors approved a quarterly cash dividend of $0.38 per common share payable on or about March 1, 2013 to shareholders of record as of February 15, 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV