Let's assume that Yahoo! can actually show some double-digit revenue and earnings growth next year and do a YJ-type 22% growth in net income. That's $1.55 in EPS at the old share count or $1.86 billion in earnings.
On an 850 million share count, that $1.86 billion in earnings becomes $2.19 in EPS or almost double the current estimate.
At a 10x multiple of $1.86 billion in earnings, Yahoo! would be worth nearly $11 billion. At the moment, net of its Alibaba stake (at a $60 billion valuation and post taxes), its YJ stake, and its cash, Yahoo!'s core business is being valued at $1.43 billion.
Yahoo!'s stake in YJ is nothing to sniff at. And it might be a key catalyst for Yahoo this year.
At the time of publication, the author was long YHOO.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV