Sealed Air Corporation (NYSE: SEE) President and Chief Operating Officer, Jerome Peribere addressed foodservice professionals from around the world on key issues impacting food supply chains and solutions for making them safer, more nutritious, more efficient and less wasteful. The presentation was given at the inaugural Sirha World Cuisine Summit in Lyon, France – a convention bringing together more than 1000 professional and opinion leaders to identify and assess trends in the food service and restaurant industry.
“At every step in the food supply chain – from farm to fork – there is the risk for contamination, damage and waste,” stated Peribere. “We must urgently address three pressing issues facing our food supply chain in order to alleviate these risks.” Peribere’s speech highlighted the following issues:
- Food Access: Today, more than enough food is produced to feed everyone on the planet, yet availability to food is unbalanced, leaving hundreds of millions starving and others obese.
- Food Safety: Despite significant advancements in technology and distribution, food contamination still runs rampant within society. The World Health Organization estimates that food-born and water-born diarrheal diseases combined kill nearly 2.2 million people annually.
- Food Waste: Each year, billions of tons of food are thrown into landfills, releasing methane gas into the atmosphere. This wasted food in the U.S. alone consumes 300 million barrels of oil, is responsible for one quarter of all freshwater consumption and represents $160 billion dollars in loss.
To address these problems, Sealed Air utilizes its SmartLife™ approach, which focuses on helping people live healthier and eat better. Rather than relying on a single product or service, the approach aims to consider a broader solution to achieve sustainability in all levels of the food chain. At the manufacturing and food processing level, Sealed Air packaging, cleaning and hygiene products reduce contamination, preserve nutritional value and reduce waste. At the retail level, Sealed Air solutions improve cleanliness, extend shelf life of food and help foster menu expansion. Finally, in the home, proportioned solutions help reduce waste by addressing over-purchasing and perishability.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV