LONDON, January 30, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
- British workers who commute by car cover an average of 3,326 miles a year just to get to and from work
- West Midlands has the highest proportion of ' car commuters '
- Santander 123 cashback credit card can cut the cost of motoring, offering 3% cashback on petrol station spendCommuters are spending up to £1,000 a year on petrol or diesel just to get to and from work, according to new research [ 1 ] from Santander 123 cashback credit card. The findings reveal that British 'car commuters' travel an average of 3,326 miles a year for this purpose, spending an average of £840 each on fuel. Scottish 'car commuters' cover the most miles travelling to and from work, covering an average of 3,934 miles per year. This is followed by those in the East of England who travel on average 3,907 miles per year and the East Midlands who cover 3,643 miles each. Car commuters in the East of England spend £1,008 each annually on the journey to work, more than any other region. Those in the East Midlands spend an average of £960 on fuel to get to and from work, compared to Londoners who spend an average of £948. Number of miles travelled and money spent on fuel by car commuters
Average spend on Average number of miles diesel/petrol for travelled going to and travelling to work from work per car per car commuter Region commuter per year per year East 3,907 GBP1,008 East Midlands 3,643 GBP960 London 2,825 GBP948 North West 3,485 GBP852 North East 3,538 GBP840 Scotland 3,934 GBP840 South West 3,010 GBP828 South East 3,590 GBP816 West 3,300 GBP780 West Midlands 3,036 GBP732 Yorkshire & Humber 2,561 GBP624 GB 3,326 GBP840However, it is the West Midlands and Wales that have the largest percentage of workers who commute by car. Seventy-one per cent of employed people in these regions travel to and from work in a motor vehicle, compared to just 32 per cent in London, where much higher numbers rely on the public transport system. Percentage of workers commuting by car
Percentage of employed people who Region drive to work West Midlands 71% Wales 71% Yorkshire & Humber 70% East of England 69% North West 67% Scotland 64% North East 63% East Midlands 63% South East 62% South West 57% London 32%Santander is advising workers to look at how much money they spend on their commute and investigate ways of reducing their costs.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts