- Write it down: Once you're given a project, write it down. That will help you "dial in" on the problem, Bijou says.
- Pinpoint it: What's keeping you from tackling a project at work? Bijou says it's likely one of three key issues: fear, anger or sadness. "Perhaps, you're intimidated by all the new bells and whistles you'll have to learn -- fear," she says. "Or you're resentful about having to do this when the old system worked perfectly well -- anger. Or you're bummed that you're just not tech-savvy -- sadness." To address the problem, pinpoint what is holding you back. "That helps you see the act of dragging your heels for what it truly is: an emotional reaction," she adds.
- Let it go: Address those emotional issues in a reasonable manner. Talk it out with friends or family, "stomp around" and release anger or simply take a minute to meditate and clear your head to see the problem for what it really is. Bijou says "letting go" is like "letting steam out of a pressure cooker."
- Plan it out: To tackle a project and get some momentum, establish a goal. "For example, "I want to be facile with this new software so it's a useful tool, not an impediment to my progress," Bijou says. "Having a clear and precise idea of your goal will keep you oriented and stay motivated."
- Break it down: OK, you've identified your issues, put the project in writing and established a "target." What's next? Bijou says breaking the project down into doable steps is a vital cog in your fight against procrastination. "Write it down, schedule it and commit to it," she says. "Then go on a mental journey, plotting out each part of the task, including details such as whom you will talk with and what about, where and when you'll be working and how long you expect each part to take."
How to Stop Procrastinating and Get Your Career Moving
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts