This settles it: Pretty much no one is making narrative commercials from start to finish anymore.
Ad firms' creative departments are being paid to scan Twitter hashtags for ideas or, in VW's case, just spend a solid couple of days watching YouTube memes until a common thread pops into their head. In the case of VW's teaser, unhappy YouTubers such as the sad Packers fan, the crying cat lady from eHarmony and Atlanta Braves minor league manager Phil Wellman are employed by Many Rivers To Cross reggae singer Jimmy Cliff to treat their troubles like the Partridge Family and Come On Get Happy.Meanwhile, there's not a Volkswagen anywhere in the clip. Nowhere. Not even the car driving the sad Packers fan around. This is the future of Super Bowl ads. Way to go, Internet. -- Written by Jason Notte in Portland, Ore. >To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/notteham. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV