RIM BlackBerry 10 Launch: Blog Recap
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Research In Motion (RIMM) unveiled its eagerly awaited BlackBerry 10 technology at a series of global events Wednesday. Clearly keen to draw a line under a frustrating period marred by delayed product launches and share losses, RIM also changed its company name to BlackBerry.
"We have definitely been on a journey of transformation," said BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins, kicking off the company's event in New York, adding that BlackBerry will transform mobile communications into mobile computing.
The Canadian handset maker, which will trade under the ticker symbol BBRY, unveiled its new BlackBerry 10 operating system and two new smartphones: the Z10 and Q10. The Z10 is a touchscreen device with a 4.2-inch display, while the Q10 comes with a physical QWERTY keyboard."You're going to love this," Heins said during his keynote presentation. "These BlackBerry 10 devices are absolutely the best typing experience in the industry." Much of Wednesday's New York event was devoted to demonstrations of the new operating system, with Heins and Vivek Bhardwaj, head of BlackBerry's software portfolio, showing off features such as BlackBerry Balance, Hub and Flow. Social networking featured prominently, with the likes of Facebook (FB) and LinkedIn (LNKD) tightly integrated with BlackBerry Hub. The company said that over 70,000 apps are available immediately with the launch of the new operating system. Keen to sprinkle some star quality on the proceedings, Heins also introduced Alicia Keys as BlackBerry's new global creative director at the New York launch. Read on for more details of the BlackBerry 10 announcement: -- Written by James Rogers and Chris Ciaccia in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers Follow @Commodity_Bull >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV