Net income available to common shareholders was $289.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2012, compared to $272.7 million for the year ended December 31, 2011. Net income available to common shareholders per share (EPS) for the year ended December 31, 2012 was $1.93 basic and $1.92 on a diluted basis. This compares to EPS for the year ended December 31, 2011 of $1.87 basic and $1.86 on a diluted basis.
The reported results are unaudited and there can be no assurance that the results will not vary from the final information for the quarter and year ended December 31, 2012. In the opinion of management, all adjustments considered necessary for a fair presentation of these reported results have been made.
As of December 31, 2012, the Company’s portfolio consisted of 157 properties, comprised primarily of Class A office space, one hotel, three residential properties and four retail properties, aggregating approximately 44.4 million square feet, including nine properties under construction totaling 2.8 million square feet. In addition, the Company has structured parking for vehicles containing approximately 15.9 million square feet. The overall percentage of leased space for the 145 properties in service (excluding the two in-service residential properties and the hotel) as of December 31, 2012 was 91.4%.
Significant events during the fourth quarter included:
- On October 1, 2012, a joint venture in which the Company has a 30% interest partially placed in-service 500 North Capitol Street, NW, a Class A office redevelopment project with approximately 232,000 net rentable square feet located in Washington, DC. The property is currently 82% leased.
- On October 4, 2012, the Company completed the formation of a joint venture which owns and operates Fountain Square located in Reston, Virginia, adjacent to the Company’s other Reston properties. Fountain Square is an office and retail complex aggregating approximately 758,000 net rentable square feet, comprised of approximately 521,000 net rentable square feet of Class A office space and approximately 237,000 net rentable square feet of retail space. The joint venture partner contributed the property valued at approximately $385.0 million and related mortgage indebtedness totaling approximately $211.3 million for a 50% interest in the joint venture. The Company contributed cash totaling approximately $87.0 million for its 50% interest, which cash was distributed to the joint venture partner. The Company is consolidating this joint venture. The mortgage loan bears interest at a fixed rate of 5.71% per annum and matures on October 11, 2016. Pursuant to the joint venture agreement (i) the Company has rights to acquire the partner’s 50% interest and (ii) the partner has the right to cause the Company to acquire the partner’s interest on January 4, 2016, in each case at a fixed price totaling approximately $102.0 million in cash. The fixed price option rights expire on January 31, 2016.
- On October 19, 2012, the Company formed a joint venture with an affiliate of Hines to pursue the acquisition of land in San Francisco, California which could support a 61-story, 1.4 million square foot office tower known as Transbay Tower. The purchase price is approximately $190.0 million, and the acquisition is expected to close in the first quarter of 2013. The Company has a 50% interest in the joint venture. The Company has provided a non-refundable deposit for the land purchase in the form of a letter of credit totaling $5.0 million. There can be no assurance that the acquisition of the land will be consummated on the terms currently contemplated or at all.
- On November 8, 2012, the Company declared a dividend of $0.65 per share of common stock for the period from October 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012, payable on January 29, 2013 to shareholders of record as of the close of business on December 31, 2012. This represents an increase of approximately 18% over the prior quarterly cash dividend of $0.55 per share.
- On November 20, 2012, the Company’s partner in its Annapolis Junction joint venture contributed a parcel of land and improvements and the Company contributed cash of approximately $5.4 million. The Company has a 50% interest in this joint venture. The venture has commenced construction of Annapolis Junction Building Seven, which when completed will consist of a Class A office property with approximately 125,000 net rentable square feet located in Annapolis, Maryland.
- On December 14, 2012, the Company signed a 20-year lease with a law firm for approximately 246,000 net rentable square feet at 250 West 55th Street. 250 West 55th Street is an approximately 989,000 net rentable square foot office building under construction in midtown Manhattan. The Company expects that the law firm will move into the completed building in the second quarter of 2014. The property is currently approximately 46% leased.
- On December 18, 2012, the Company terminated the construction loan facility collateralized by its 680 Folsom Street development project located in San Francisco, California totaling $170.0 million. The construction loan facility bore interest at a variable rate equal to LIBOR plus 3.70% per annum and was scheduled to mature on May 30, 2015 with two, one-year extension options, subject to certain conditions. The Company had not drawn any amounts under the facility.
- On December 21, 2012, the Company signed a 20-year lease with a law firm for approximately 376,000 net rentable square feet at 601 Massachusetts Avenue, the Company’s planned approximately 478,000 net rentable square foot development project located in Washington, DC. Construction of the project is scheduled to commence in the second quarter of 2013, and the law firm expects to move into the completed building in the fourth quarter of 2015. The property is currently approximately 79% leased.
- The servicer of the non-recourse mortgage loan in the amount of $25.0 million collateralized by the Company’s Montvale Center property located in Gaithersburg, Maryland foreclosed on the property on January 31, 2012. As a result of the foreclosure, the Company recognized a gain on forgiveness of debt during the first quarter of 2012 totaling approximately $15.8 million, net of noncontrolling interests’ share of approximately $2.0 million. Due to a procedural error of the trustee, the foreclosure sale was subsequently dismissed by the applicable court prior to ratification. As a result, the Company has revised its financial statements to reflect the property and related mortgage debt on its consolidated balance sheet at December 31, 2012 and has reversed the gain on forgiveness of debt and recognized the operating activity from the property within its consolidated statement of operations for the year ended December 31, 2012. A subsequent foreclosure sale occurred on December 21, 2012, and ratification by the applicable court is pending. Once ratified, the Company will recognize a gain on forgiveness of debt. These events have no impact on the cash flows of the Company.
- On January 7, 2013, the Company signed a 20-year lease with the General Services Administration for 100% of its approximately 182,000 net rentable square foot currently vacant Three Patriots Park property located in Reston, Virginia.
- On January 28, 2013, the Company’s Compensation Committee approved a new equity-based, multi-year, long-term incentive program (the “2013 MYLTIP”) in lieu of a 2013 Outperformance Plan as a performance-based component of the Company’s overall compensation program. The Company currently expects that under the Financial Accounting Standards Board’s Accounting Standards Codification (“ASC”) 718 “Compensation – Stock Compensation,” the 2013 MYLTIP will have an aggregate value of approximately $8.1 million, which amount will generally be amortized into earnings over the five-year plan period under the graded vesting method and has been reflected in the 2013 guidance below.
|First Quarter 2013||Full Year 2013|
|Projected EPS (diluted)||$||0.38||-||$||0.40||$||1.90||-||$||2.02|
|Projected Company Share of Real Estate Depreciation and Amortization||0.81||-||0.81||3.25||-||3.25|
|Projected Company Share of Gains on Sales of Real Estate||0.00||-||0.00||0.09||-||0.09|
|Projected FFO per Share (diluted)||$||1.19||-||$||1.21||$||5.06||-||$||5.18|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV