This growth initiative drove increases in gross loan balances for the third consecutive quarter, with loan balances of $2.07 billion at December 31, 2012, which was $37.8 million higher than at September 30, 2012. Commercial loan portfolios grew $27.5 million in the aggregate, with growth of $33.9 million in commercial and industrial loans, partially offset by a decline in commercial real estate and construction loans of $6.4 million. Residential real estate loans including loans held for sale also rose $10.9 million during the quarter. Growth occurred in targeted portfolios with positive changes in mix, as loans with the strongest risk grades increased, while loans with weaker grades declined during the quarter 1.
Our non-interest-bearing deposits of $611.0 million at December 31, 2012 grew from $510.1 million at September 30, 2012 and $503.1 million at December 31, 2011. Furthermore, our core deposits of $2.8 billion at December 31, 2012 increased from $2.7 billion at September 30, 2012 and $2.5 billion at December 31, 2011. Non-interest-bearing deposit growth has a positive influence on funding costs, while increasing core deposits provide a stable platform for continued asset growth.
As stated in the prior period release, the Company was pleased to announce the founding of Trevett Capital Partners ("Trevett") during the fourth quarter of 2012. Trevett is a private wealth management boutique created to serve high net worth clientele in southwest Florida through a highly tenured team of sophisticated wealth management professionals, operating as a division of Busey Bank. Trevett builds upon our established presence in Florida and the broad capabilities of our existing Wealth Management operation to provide concierge service and tailored solutions for the accumulation and preservation of capital and generational legacies.
|1A detailed description of the loan grading policy can be found in the Company's Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2011.|
Capital Strength: At the end of the fourth quarter of 2012, Busey Bank continued to exceed the capital adequacy requirements necessary to be considered "well-capitalized" under the regulatory guidance. First Busey Corporation's Tangible Common Equity (TCE) 2 decreased to $308.0 million at December 31, 2012 from $316.0 million at September 30, 2012, but increased from $306.5 million at December 31, 2011. TCE represented 8.58% of tangible assets at December 31, 2012 compared to 9.03% at September 30, 2012 and 9.09% at December 31, 2011.The decline in TCE during the fourth quarter of 2012 primarily resulted from the acceleration of the Company's 2013 first quarter dividend of $0.04 per common share into the fourth quarter of 2012 as well as an additional cash dividend of $0.04 per common share. The combined dividend of $0.08 per common share was paid on December 31, 2012 to shareholders of record as of December 24, 2012. The decision to pay both dividends on December 31, 2012 was due to the uncertainty surrounding U.S. tax policy and our desire to maximize shareholder value and return while potentially reducing the dividend income tax burden. The Company has an uninterrupted history of paying quarterly dividends to its common shareholders since it first began trading on the NASDAQ exchange in 1998.
|2Tangible Common Equity is defined as common equity less tax effected goodwill and intangibles at the end of the reporting period.|
- Non-performing loans increased very slightly by $0.2 million to $25.4 million at December 31, 2012 from $25.2 million at September 30, 2012, but decreased from $38.5 million at December 31, 2011.
- Illinois/Indiana non-performing loans slightly increased to $17.8 million at December 31, 2012 from $17.4 million at September 30, 2012, but decreased from $27.7 million at December 31, 2011.
- Florida non-performing loans decreased to $7.6 million at December 31, 2012 from $7.8 million at September 30, 2012 and $10.8 million at December 31, 2011.
- Loans 30-89 days past due decreased to $2.3 million at December 31, 2012 from $7.9 million at September 30, 2012 and $4.7 million at December 31, 2011.
- Other non-performing assets, primarily consisting of other real estate owned, decreased to $3.5 million at December 31, 2012 from $8.5 million at both September 30, 2012 and December 31, 2011.
- The ratio of non-performing assets to total loans plus other non-performing assets at December 31, 2012 decreased to 1.39% from 1.65% at September 30, 2012 and 2.28% at December 31, 2011.
- The allowance for loan losses to non-performing loans ratio decreased to 189.32% at December 31, 2012 from 195.38% at September 30, 2012, but increased from 151.91% at December 31, 2011.
- The allowance for loan losses to total loans ratio decreased to 2.32% at December 31, 2012 from 2.42% at September 30, 2012 and 2.85% at December 31, 2011.
- Net charge-offs of $4.7 million recorded in the fourth quarter of 2012 were lower than the $5.2 million recorded in the third quarter of 2012 and the $10.4 million recorded in the fourth quarter of 2011.
- Provision expense of $3.5 million remained consistent with the amount recorded for the third quarter of 2012, and decreased from the $5.0 million recorded in the fourth quarter of 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV