NORWALK, Conn., Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- UBM Medica US announces that Diagnostic Imaging, a leading online publication for news and commentary of the medical imaging market, provided guidance for radiology practices to better communicate the risks of contrast agents to patients.
Although a commonly used tool in medical imaging, contrast agents aren't without their risks. In this feature article, Diagnostic Imaging spoke with industry experts about how to best provide patients with information about these radiopharmaceuticals, including:
- Explain what the agent is and what it does in basic terminology. Use the teach-back method where patients relay the information back, demonstrating they understand, Jeffrey Kanne, MD, associate professor of thoracic imaging and quality and safety vice chair at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, told Diagnostic Imaging.
- Set up a patient education website detailing information patients need to ensure their safety and the best imaging results.
Radiologists should also make themselves available to patients to discuss contrast agents.
"We don't have a lot of patient contact as radiologists, but if patients understand that a physician trained in medical imaging is immediately available to speak with them, it can have a very beneficial impact on their experience," Kanne said.It is also critical for imaging centers and departments to ensure providers have a full understanding of the contrast agents used. This can be done by partnering with a pharmacy to better educate the radiology professionals. The group may also employ pocket cards detailing information about each contrast agent. About UBM Medica USAddressing today' s healthcare information needs, UBM Medica US, delivers strategic, integrated communications solutions and comprehensive reach—online, in print, and via custom programs. Improving the effectiveness of healthcare through information and education, UBM Medica US provides unbiased clinical, practical, and business information for physicians, providers, payers, and patients around the world. Through journals, magazines, websites, online communities, drug databases, digital events, and other valuable resources, UBM Medica US also delivers comprehensive communication solutions for the pharmaceutical and related industries. Websites include CancerNetwork.com, ConsultantLive.com, DiagnosticImaging.com, MusculoskeletalNetwork.com, OBGYN.net, PhysiciansPractice.com, PsychiatricTimes.com and SearchMedica.com. UBM Medica US is part of UBM Connect – which provides marketing services across a number of communities, the largest of which are healthcare, medical device design and advanced manufacturing. UBM Connect also includes UBM Studios, the global leader in interactive digital environments. UBM Connect is a UBM plc company. For more information, visit http://www.UBMMedicaUS.com
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV