Pa. Governor Corbett Announces Funding For Three New State Police Classes
Budget includes plan to train 290 new cadets, 90 civilian police dispatchers
MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa., Jan. 29, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Governor Tom Corbett today announced that his 2013-14 budget will provide funding for three new classes of cadets for the Pennsylvania State Police.
"One of the core obligations of state government is to provide for the safety of its citizens,'' Corbett said. "If we cannot make our citizens safe on our streets or in their own homes, everything we do is futile. Without safety there can be no society.''
The current budget provides for a new class of 90 cadets to begin training next month. Corbett's proposed budget calls for three additional classes of state police cadets, a total of 290 new cadets, plus the hiring of 90 civilian police dispatchers.State police Commissioner Frank Noonan joined Corbett today in making the announcement at the Pittsburgh state police barracks in Moon Township. "One of Governor Corbett's top public safety priorities is to put more state troopers in our communities and on our streets,'' Noonan said. "Thanks to him, these troopers will enhance the safety and security of all Pennsylvanians.'' "While the increase in manpower is an achievement for the department, the continuing decline in manpower through retirement remains distressing,'' Noonan said. "We are still at critical numbers. The problem is that the number of new troopers is not keeping pace with the number of outgoing troopers.'' In the 2012-13 fiscal year, 136 state police enlisted members have retired or have announced plans to retire. An additional 1,243 troopers are eligible to retire by the end of June. Current state police complement is down more than 480 troopers from what the department is authorized to have.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV