Caterpillar Shares Rise On Upgrade, 4Q Report
William Blair & Co. analyst Lawrence De Maria said inventory reductions that Caterpillar reported in the latest quarter were "dramatic" and better than he had anticipated. The company and its dealers have both been trying to sell off inventory, and Caterpillar said that reduced production will continue at least through the first quarter.
De Maria, who maintains an "Outperform" rating on the stock, said Caterpillar's "cautiously optimistic view of the world and conservative guidance should help set up for positive earnings surprises in 2013."
The biggest factor driving the stock's performance will probably be the global mining outlook into 2014, he said.
Jefferies & Co. analyst Stephen Volkmann, who maintains a "Hold" rating on Caterpillar, also called the mining outlook critical. The company "still needs additional mining orders in 2013 to fill out its production schedule," he said in a note to clients.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV