Pfizer Inc. (PFE) will be divesting Zoetis, which makes vaccines and drugs for pets, cattle, swine and other farm animals. The IPO hopes to raise up to $2.2 billion for the animal-medicine and vaccine company and is another attempt by Pfizer to focus on its core human-health businesses going forward.
EXCLUSIVE OFFER: Jim Cramer's Protégé, Dave Peltier, only buys Stocks Under $10 that he thinks could potentially double. See what he's trading today with a 14-day FREE pass.
Pfizer sold Vevey, an infant nutrition business, to Nestle SA for $11.9 billion last April. Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. (BMY) has also participated in divesting activity, selling Mead Johnson Nutrition Co. (MJN). Since the sale, both stocks have gained 60% and 160% respectively.
Zoetis’s IPO is expected to price on the NYSE on January 31st under the ticker ZTS. Pfizer will continue to hold 414 million class B shares and will have 83% control over Zoetis. 81.6 million Class A shares will be on the market for $22-25 each.
ConclusionPfizer is trying to trim the fat and focus on its core business. CEO Ian Read is shrinking the drugmaker with these divestures, helping spur future growth and increasing returns for shareholders. A divesture, like increasing dividends or buying back stock, will return value to shareholders. Zoetis is the biggest animal-medicine and vaccine company in the world by revenue. Written by Kapitall's Nick Sousa
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV